Friday (dark blue)
To Otaki Forks and off to Waitewaewae for food, beer, and a nice Ardbeg 10yo whisky. The hut has had some visitors that dont seem to have any idea on how stupid they are. Open packets of food and a bottle of milk and other trash where left on the bench. Some huts need hut wardens.
Saturday (light blue)
Its a bit of a climb up from Waitewaewae but not an unhappy event.
The home leg, from Carkeek hut over the Thompson, Lanchaster pair, to Arete for lunch and then down to Te Matawai with a meal stop at South Ohau hut. Then the final blast down the South Ohau river to a pickup at Poads road. Compare the Carkeek rain gauge with the Mr Anderson one.
Thanks to Carolyn who picked us up from Poads Road and dropped us back at Otaki Forks; and thanks to Mum and Dad for the coffee and ginger crunch.
- Anderson Memorial
- Te Matawai
- South Ohau
- Otaki Forks car park to Waitewaewae 3h10m
- Waitewaewae to Junction Knob 3h17m
- Junction Knob to Anderson Memorial and back 1h41m
- Junction Knob to Nichols 1h25m
- Nichols Hut to Park Forks 1h24m
- Park Forks to Carkeek Hut 1h27m
- Carkeek Hut to Arete Hut 3h36m
- Arete Hut to Te Matawai 2h9m
- Te Matawai to South Ohau hut 45m
- South Ohau Hut to Paods Road 2h39m
A Carl map with nice colors as per day.
Out of the seven huts we visited only one had a fairy tale book in it. Fish that grew legs incremented by one.