Saturday will be a day of walking hard uphill into the quiet mist to be snagged by tree dreams. Old gnarly giant trees coated in thick green moss ancient before the arrival of man; the forest slayer.
▪ On friday evening drive to the Waiohine Gorge road end and walk into Cone hut and taste some Ledaig from the Isle of Mull. If there is no sleep space walk to Teranekau hut; after the whisky is drunk.
▪ Saturday morning up early and head up to Cone saddle and then to Cone. If weather not too bad go to Neil and back then head along Cone Ridge to Totara Flats hut for Saturday night.
▪ Ride a bicycle and kill an elephant.
▪ Have a tasting of some of the finest single malt Scotch whisky that exist in this time and place; being the Corryvreckan from Islay giving us a relaxed evening of malted barley and phenol.
▪ Sunday have a leisurely sleep in with a nice walk down the river back to the road end and drive back to Wellington.
▪ Remove any religious matter from huts.
Regional Wines and Spirits
I and fellow tramper Stuart Little off with a late walking start of 2138 and an arrival before midnight. Still plenty of time to sample the Ledaig 10yo. What a fine dram the taste of young girl friend. A very white wine color, sweet young with subtle saltiness.
Could smell the smoke of fire long before arrival at Cone hut; interesting in the dark.
Somedays I just cannot be bothered getting up early (nothing to do with whisky). Headed off at 1011. Observing the artillary.
I be here this weekend and last weekend at about this time I was on the oppisite side on the Tararua Peaks; those two mud topped hills making the V.
Arrived before five at Totara Flats hut, very popular this weekend, had a few drams of Ardbeg's extremely tasty Coryvreckan while waiting for Stuart Little.
Sleeping on the veranda ment an early rising, we left Totara flats hut just after eight.